Jayhawk Audubon is the chapter of the National Audubon Society serving Lawrence, Douglas County, and surrounding communities in eastern Kansas.
Our mission is to provide opportunities for greater understanding and appreciation of birds and other wildlife, to encourage sustainable practices, and to advocate for actions and policies which result in protection and preservation of intact ecosystems.
Hover over the photo for information and photo credit.
Join us! All of our resources are available to the public free of charge and our meetings and field trips are always open to the public. If you would like to become a member, the cost is just $10 per year to be a local member or $20 per year to be a local and national member, which includes a subscription to the beautiful Audubon magazine. Click here for membership information.
Birdathon a huge success, with 164 species reported!
Birders working alone or in household groups spent the weekend of May 2 and 3 spotting and recording birds for our annual Birdathon. Please click here for the full list of birds seen!
This is our main fundraiser of the year. Birdathon is like a walkathon except participants count bird species instead of miles. We collect pledges from sponsors (that’s you!) to support Eagles Day, our Plants for Birds program, Monarch Tagging, the Learning About Nature project, KU Natural History Museum class scholarships, out-of-town speakers, and more!
Thank you for supporting this effort so we can bring you a full calendar of activities when we come back in the Fall!
JAYHAWK AUDUBON CANCELS EVENTS UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
in accordance with National Audubon's directive:
• All in-person engagement, education, and outreach activities are suspended until further notice, including bird walks, on-the-beach outreach, volunteer activities, and other gatherings.
• All Audubon events and events held in our spaces will be cancelled or postponed through June 30.
• All stewardship and monitoring activities are prohibited when local, state, or federal shelter-in-place or equivalent orders are in place.
• All Audubon Centers are closed through June 30.
• All Audubon summer camps are cancelled or have been transformed into virtual ones.
• All non-essential travel banned through June 30.